Friday, February 17, 2012

Snakehead Murrel, Channa Striata AKA Haruan

"The snakehead murrel, Channa striata, is a species of snakehead fish. It is also known as the common snakehead, chevron snakehead, and striped snakehead. It is native to South and Southeast Asia. It grows up to 1 m in length, though because of fishing, this size is rarely found in the wild.

Adults are dark brown in colour with faint black bands visible across its entire body. Males and females both help to construct a nest out of water vegetation during breeding time. Eggs are guarded by both parents. Fry are reddish orange and are guarded by both parents until they turn greenish brown at around 5–6 cm.

It is common in freshwater plains, where it migrates from rivers and lakes into flooded fields, returning to the permanent water bodies in the dry season, where it survives by burrowing in the mud. It preys on frogs, water bugs, smaller fish, and it will attack anything moving when breeding." Extracted from Wikipedia.

We are called Snakehead for a damn good reason..
This post is dedicated to our beloved Haruan, whom gave us happy fishing times but secretly, we thought of your big ass cousin, the Giant Snakeheads.. ;P WAH PIANG EH.. Thought of resting today but got an unexpected off day so went fishing again and again and again.. Reached spot already afternoon, sun glaring but water calm.. Hit first pot at PeeBee... Wah, this one mouth very loose fly cannot set hook easily. Change lure and HOOK SET!!! FISH ON!!! Nice fight on 4lb setup. Mood went up 30%..

Mouth damn loose~~~
30cm over handsome shiny PeeBee landed! Quickly snapped photos and release back. Next, found another pot but decidedly very spooky but think Banhock bro haven't ka ciao today so HOOK SET!!! FISH ON!!! DIY RIG DID IT! LOL Nice fight on my blue rod but not as powerful as Banhock's.. Mood add 60%+30%=90%!

First time use STORM tape so abit off, 37+7=44 cm Mama Haruan! ^^
Look like scary slug with pointed eyes... WEIRD
Fishy gave me a nice splashing upon releasing.. Handphone wet wet.. ZZZzzz.. Finally my last 10% mood up goes to this last pot, the Mayan Cichlid, who kept staring at me the whole goddamn time.. Okay 100% mood up feeling great but weather not so great. RAIN CAME and so that's the end of this catch report. Body and mind now exhausted.. Not going fishing so soon I guess~~~ Cya Fishos~~~

'Nobody nobody but jiu~~~'

7 comments:

  1. Wat I've learn is when it comes to Giant Snakehead luring, it can b abt spots. Coz I feel regularity to a particular spot makes one familiar wif it. Just like BH, he is a pro at NSLK, while I've nvr caught any there. LOL. Casting wise, I practice sight casting, casting at more probable places where they mite b as well. At times, I even cast blindly when there is no action. LOL. For working lures, I noob too, I work my lures differently all e time, coz i feel dat Giant Snakesheads oso haf moody days, so it all depends whether they wanna take your lure at dat time. LOL. And lastly, colour of lure n distance to reach oso play a part. Hope this helps. =) Btw, my catches r really lucky de. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks firstly for sharing your nice pointers, really big help to a newbie like me.. I feel more on the know your spot part, it really helps to understand the fishy behavior more.. I gonna practise more on sight casting and use more top water selections as it really works on your blog.. who noes maybe I can be as lucky as you are! I think e Giant Snakeheads are very spooked at NSLK.. But It's still there so I will think harder to catch them.. LOL Thumbs up again for the advise and I wish you luck on your no.8 and no.10 Giant Snakehead! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for e well wishes, same to u too~! =) NSLK is a tough plc to lure. Landind one there is a achievement. =) I had nvr got one there. Keke. Gd luck~!

    ReplyDelete